The Adam Smith College of Management is a specialised business school offering vocational qualification programmes with a duration of 1 and 2 years, accredited in Bulgaria and the United Kingdom.
In Bulgaria, the curriculum is designed by ASCM and approved by the Ministry of Education, and in the United Kingdom – by our partner TLM (The Learning Machine), an accredited awarding organisation. All programmes on offer are vocational and do not lead to HE degrees.
ASCM accepts students in its attended, individual (online), and combined (attended + online) training formats.
Entrepreneurship and Management
Level 4 (Bulgarian NQF) vocational qualification (EQF Level 5), a 2-year programme accredited by the Ministry of Education.
– Entrepreneurship and Management is a programme with wide managerial competence profile, and numerous career options in business. With the award of a Certificate of Vocational Qualification (Level 4, the highest vocational level in Bulgaria), students will be able to create and manage their own company, take middle-management positions in SMEs, and assume specialist positions in large companies.
– One of the most successful combinations – in terms of professional career – that we have identified in the past decade is the combination of HE degree (which many of our students have prior to starting their studies with us) with a vocational qualification. Usually this is a mix where the two components cover competences in two different areas, e.g. engineering degree in conjunction with business-oriented vocational qualification.
– This programme is accredited by the Ministry of Education in Bulgaria and leads to a recognised vocational qualification at Level 4 (EQF Level 5). According to the National Qualifications Framework, Level 4 is the highest level of vocational qualification available in Bulgaria.
– This programme is aimed at people who have, at minimum, completed their secondary education, and who wish to acquire a practically-oriented vocational qualification in the field of economics and management. The overall objective of the programme is development and mastery of entrepreneurial skills.
– The programme is extremely convenient for working people, as both delivery formats which ASCM offers permit combining work and study.
– There are no prerequisites for this programme and no previous knowledge or experience is required.
– The objective of this programme is to build a solid base of knowledge and practical skills related to the processes taking place in the economy. By the end of the studies, the students will be able to perform complex business analyses, to determine strategies and manage other people by motivating them to achieve organisational goals. By engaging in general managerial activities the students will know in detail the activities of the different functional areas – marketing, finance, human resources, production, etc. The students will be able to identify microeconomic and macroeconomic processes and adapt their actions to the requirements of the environment in order to sustain and develop the competitiveness of the organisation.
– Students in the programme will go through all modules listed on this page. Working closely with their teachers, the students will engage in integrating the learning objectives of the different modules into a common and practically-oriented business toolkit.
– The wide spectrum covered by the modules ensures full coverage of business subjects. The focus on entrepreneurship, general management, strategic planning and strategic management, contributes to the competence level required to establish and run a small or medium business. ASCM is a school for entrepreneurs!
– This programme is offered to students in two modifications: attended learning (training sessions, full access to ASCM’s e-learning platform, videoconferences) and distance learning (self-study, full access to ASCM’s e-learning platform).
– The attended learning modality includes 4 semester spread along 2 years. Training sessions take place on Saturdays and Sundays only. The emphasis is on discussions, on building up on available learning resources, and on practical sessions – case studies, projects, assignments. This modality includes full access to all ASCM designed resources available through the e-learning platform – texts, exercises, videos, assignments, self-assessment tests, optional videoconferencing).
– The distance learning modality runs parallel to the attended learning schedule. It includes access to all e-learning materials, but excludes attended training sessions and videoconferences. This modality is appropriate and convenient for students who wish to obtain a vocational qualification, but do not wish, or are not able to, take part in the attended training sessions. Such students must be well organised and have some experience in self-study. They may communicate with their teachers and peers through the e-learning platform asynchronous communication modules.
Level 6 EQF, a 1-year programme accredited by Ofqual (UK vocational qualifications regulatory body), a joint ASCM/TLM qualification.
– Since the highest level of vocational qualification in Bulgaria (NQF Level 4) corresponds to EQF Level 5, we at ASCM decided to look for a non-traditional approach to tracing an extended learning pathway for our students who wish to continue their studies.
– The vocational programme in Business Management which was introduced to Bulgaria by ASCM as a pilot programme in 2014 is the natural solution to the problem identified above. The one-year Business Management programme is referenced at EQF Level 6, and it requires previous studies or relevant professional experience.
– Successful completion of the programme leads to a TLM Level 6 Diploma in Business Management, co-issued by ASCM and TLM.
– Regardless of the fact that the HE bachelor programmes are also referenced to EQF Level 6, this programme in Business Management is not an academic course and does not lead to a HE diploma. Students may want to keep in mind the option to continue their studies in the UK, as UK’s HE and vocational qualification systems run in parallel and changing between the two pathways is possible.
– The European Qualifications Framework (EQF) is a meta-framework which provides transparency and recognition of qualifications awarded in any of the participating countries.
– The programme is accredited by Ofqual (UK) and is referenced to the European Qualifications Framework.
– The awarding organisation is The Learning Machine (TLM), regulated by Ofqual.
– The programme is registered with the Ofqual Register of Regulated qualifications as TLM Level 6 Diploma In Business Management (600/8964/7).
– The Diploma is issued jointly by TLM and ASCM, the final qualification exam is controlled by TLM.
– The programme is aimed at people who have completed the ASCM flagship 2-year programme or comparable programmes of other training institutions.
– To enroll in the programme, candidates should have basic knowledge about the economy and the economic processes at micro and macro levels. They should also be aware of the most significant business tools and instruments, and of the links between the different business functions.
– The programme is also open to candidates without previous formal training if they provide enough evidence that they have an equivalent practical and professional experience.
– The candidates should be aware of the general descriptors of EQF Level 6, so that they could evaluate the difficulty level of the programme. By the time they complete the programme, the participants will be expected to meet these criteria:
Achievement at EQF Level 6 reflects the ability to build, select and use advanced, factual and theoretical knowledge within the field of business. The learner must also demonstrate critical understanding of relevant theories and principles. This level commands an advanced range of cognitive and practical skills, demonstrating mastery and innovation, required to solve complex and unpredictable problems in the specialised field of business. A learner at this level is expected to manage complex technical or professional activities or projects, taking responsibility for decision-making in unpredictable work or study contexts, and to take responsibility for managing professional development of other individuals and groups.
– The programme is composed of 5 thematic modules – Management in organisations, Corporate strategy and planning, Strategic HR management, Corporate finance, International business.
– The programme builds upon the basic corpus of knowledge which typically results from a comprehensive wide-spectrum business or economic studies, or equivalent professional experience.
– This is a 1-year programme with 3 intensive training sessions in November, February, and June. Each of these attended sessions has a duration of 40 hours, and comes with an additional workload of 120 hours of coursework: assignments, research, discussions, videoconferences.
– Practically-oriented training, case studies, projects.
– Each of the modules requires that students participate actively in all coursework activities. The teacher makes an evaluation of the coursework submitted by each student based on criteria set by the awarding body.
– To be allowed to sit the final qualification exam, students must have passed the coursework evaluation in a satisfactory manner. The final exam is in Bulgarian and is based on exam materials approved by the awarding body (TLM).
– The programme is offered in attended and distance learning modalities. While the attended learning format is the norm for the programme, we acknowledge that many participants will have numerous and important duties to their jobs and families. This is why we allow a distance learning modality through ASCM’s e-learning platform. However, this is very challenging path and we invite candidates who may be interested in the distance learning format to get in touch with us so that we can discuss the particular context together and find a working solution.